Solving the Mystery of the Cold Room Above Your Garage
As a homeowner with a room above your garage, you might have noticed a persistent issue: “Why is this room constantly chilly?” It’s a familiar puzzle that perplexes many, but the solution is simpler than you might think.
There are three primary factors causing your above-garage room to remain cold. The first is insufficient insulation installed due to outdated building code standards. The second is the type of insulation used, typically fibreglass in older homes, which isn’t dense enough to effectively prevent the cold from infiltrating. Lastly, the air ducts running between the joists are influenced by the garage’s temperature during both winter and summer, affecting the above room’s temperature.
Visualize this scenario: your home’s heating system attempts to circulate air at around 29°C during winter, but due to the cold garage, this is reduced to just 13°C. Consequently, the room above the garage doesn’t receive sufficient warm air, causing the floor and the room itself to remain uncomfortably cold. During summer, this scenario flips, causing discomfort all year round.
The Solution: Effective Insulation
Luckily, these issues can be resolved with the right insulation strategies:
- Dense Pack Cellulose Insulation: This involves drilling and filling the garage ceiling with dense pack cellulose insulation. This insulation method protects the floor and air ducts from severe temperature fluctuations and provides an overall more comfortable environment for the room above the garage.
- Garage Attic Top Up: If your garage has an attic above it, topping up the insulation there can help keep the garage warmer and reduce thermal energy loss in your home. Although this may not be necessary for all homes, it can make a significant difference where applicable.
Dense-Pack Technique: Your Key to Cost Savings and Efficiency
Ever heard of the dense-pack technique? Let me tell you why this could be just what you need. The primary attraction of this method is that it doesn’t require drywall removal – a tremendous relief, right? No need for a major upheaval in your garage or a costly reconstruction. Instead, we’ll perform a quick and economical retrofit yet deliver excellent insulation1.
But the benefits don’t stop there. The dense pack technique also provides an exceptionally dense result in your thermal insulation. This higher density leads to significantly reduced energy loss, which means your home stays warmer in those chilly winter months and cooler during the blistering summer heat2. It’s an all-season solution that improves your home’s comfort and reduces energy bills. Now that’s what we call a win-win!
The Cellulose Advantage: Why You’ll Love Making the Switch
If your home still has old, less effective fibreglass insulation, upgrading to cellulose insulation can be a game changer. Here’s why it’s worth considering:
- Superior Insulation: Unlike fibreglass, which can lose up to 50% of its R-value with temperature changes, cellulose provides consistent insulation performance all year round.
- Environmentally Friendly: Produced from locally sourced recycled paper, cellulose is a sustainable choice for insulation.
- Fire Resistant: Cellulose insulation is Class A fire-resistant, providing up to 1 hour of fire resistance.
- Pest Resistant: Cellulose is designed to deter animals and bugs, ensuring the longevity of your insulation.
- Mould and Fungus Resistant: This property enhances the lifespan of cellulose insulation.
- Soundproofing: As a bonus, cellulose insulation can help soundproof your attic, contributing to a quieter home.
- Cost-Effective: Despite its multiple advantages, cellulose insulation is surprisingly affordable.
Embracing the dense pack technique to insulate your garage is a cost-effective strategy for increasing your home’s thermal efficiency. This method, which requires no drywall removal, offers a straightforward and affordable solution to the chilling issue of the cold room above your garage. This smart investment can dramatically improve the comfort of your living space and reduce energy consumption. Thus, it’s not just an enhancement of your immediate comfort but a long-term contribution to your home’s value and sustainability3.
Don’t let the cold room above your garage leave you frosty any longer. Reach out to us today – let’s transform your home into the cozy, energy-efficient haven you’ve always dreamed of!